Friday, February 27, 2009

Nutty Granola






Nutty Granola

I have been craving granola for a while now. It is a great topper to most anything sweet. Lexi has been on a yogurt kick and I thought homemade would be a better option so I found this one from Ellie Krieger. It uses maple syrup versus sugar and not many ingredients either. When it was baking it made my house smell spectacular. You could almost taste it, like a strong oatmeal cookie. It was awesome! This is a super easy recipe, I decided to omit the raisins because no one in my house will eat it, I was nervous about the pecans and walnuts too but you know they can't always get what they want huh. Enjoy!

Nutty Granola

3 cups old-fashioned oats 
1/2 cup chopped, raw, unsalted walnuts
1/2 cup chopped, unsalted almonds
1/2 cup chopped, unsalted pecans
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins, optional

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.  In a medium bowl combine the oats, nuts, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon and the raisins (if using). Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet and bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer the sheet to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Store in refrigerator. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love making granola. This recipe sounds yummy and healthier without the oil. I think I will make this one next.

NKP said...

I have heard lots of good things about this recipe. I love homemade granola - so yummy with yogurt.