Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Coffee Break Quickie




Coffee Break Quickie

I will say that coffee has to be my favorite thing, well I have several favorites, but anyone who has spent more than, oh about, 20 minutes with me knows that Coffee, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Chocolate are my loves. I have battled with my weight for almost a decade and suffered through Steroid use which saved my life but sure did make it difficult to maintain any type of weight loss. I guess where I was going with this is that I have an enormous sweet tooth and can't indulge in all these wonderful goodies. So... I have a team ... my family ...  and then my nose. 

So, these babies were a good combo. The Coffee and Cinnamon really complimented each other and the baking soda and buttermilk gave a rich, light crumb. They smelled wonderful. The strudel topping was really the best part. Simple and tasty. I named them "Quickies" because they don't have icing and are portable, and of course, hello... Gotta have a play on words from time to time.

I didn't have much time to take pictures today... sorry... I wished I did. But here is my: 

February Iron Cupcake Challenge : Earth 

Coffee Break Quickie

2 C All Purpose Flour
1/2 C sugar
1 Tbsp instant Espresso Powder
1.5 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C light brown sugar
1 C buttermilk
1 stick (8 Tbsp) butter, melted and cooled
1 Lg Egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400. Line 12 Regular tins with paper liners or spray with Pam.

In large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. Stir in brown sugar, making sure you don't have any lumps. 

In seperate bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla together until well combined. 

Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and with a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don't mix too much; a few lumps are better than over mixing. Divide evenly among tins. 

Bake 20 min ( or until toothpicked center is clean ) When you have about 3-5 min left, top with cinnamon, sugar, and room temperature butter mixture. ( For this I just winged it and when it looked good I topped the cuppies)  Cool in tin 5 min and then transfer to rack to cool completely. 



No comments: