Wednesday, January 14, 2009

White Sandwich Bread





White Sandwich Bread

I spend a lot of time trying to sabotage others. It is very sad.  I am one of the annoying no sugar no flour girls but can't help but bake and bake and bake. My family then is basically forced to eat my 'goodies' even when they don't want to. I decided (my husband forced me pretty much) that I need to make more healthy things for them because they need it too. So that being said I have decided to try to make all the breads we eat. They LOVE bread. And I love baking and avoiding high fructose corn syrup at all costs. So I found the recipe for Classic White Bread from baking bites and they really loved it. Minimal sugar....and the smell while it was baking WOW it was awesome. And I again must thank my awesome mother in law for getting the bread maker which has retained a position on the counter now for good. I only took pictures once it was finished but it is definitely a make again recipe. 


Classic White Bread

adapted from Baking with Julia

2 1/2 cups warm water (105-115F)

1 package active dry yeast (.25 o

z)

1 tbsp sugar

6-7 cups ap flour

1 tbsp salt

4 tbsp butter, softened

Combine 1/2 cup water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl and let stand until foamy - about 10 minutes. Add remaining water, flour and salt to yeast mixture and mix with a wooden spoon (or in a mixer) until dough cleanly away from the sides of the bowl. Knead in butter until dough is smooth and not sticky. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and continue kneading for an additional minute or two. Shape dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl to rise until doubled, about 1- 1 1/2 hours.

Butter two 8×4 inch loaf pans and set aside. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and divide in two equal portions. Shape as described above and place seam side down into prepared loaf pans. Cover loaf pans lightly with oiled plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Dough will rise above the lip of the pan.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375F.

Place loaves in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. After 35 minutes, use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the bread. It will read 200F when the loaves are done. If you do not have an instant read themometer (meat thermometer), simply cook the loaves for 40 minutes and keep an eye on your oven thermometer to make sure the temperature remains constant.

Remove loaves from pans immediately and let cool completely (2-3 hours) before slicing.

Makes 2 loaves

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Home baked bread is a lot easier than people think and it always tastes good. I try to make all the bread we eat.

Your loaf looks good! Too bad you can't eat it.