Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tyler's Banana Nut Muffins












The Ultimate Banana Nut Muffin 

(Minus the Nut add the Peanut Butter)

I have been missing baking so bad since COLLEGE took over. I do not think that I will take a full load this summer. And speaking of summer I just found out that I am getting a family vacation to ( enter drum roll here please ) JAMAICA baby!

Things are happening all around me here and I sometimes feel like I am more of an observer than a participant but oddly enough I got to put on my skull apron and I felt soooo very comfortable this evening. The only thing missing was a nice glass of Champagne. I was so happy to get the escape I much needed and desired. And with that came aging bananas and a room full of 6th grade students who just finished their state mandated exam. I decided to make the cupcakes that I so rudely neglected this Easter. 

These are the best Banana Muffins EVER! Tyler knows his stuff... I change it up a tiny bit but every single time they come out amazing no matter what changes I incorporate. This time I just did plain banana because 6th graders are picky. I did however ice them with Peanut Butter Icing and topped with a Mini Hershey Bar. The triad of Banana, Peanut Butter, and Chocolate.. Hell Ya!

I got the original recipe here. Trust me on the changes, this recipe can do almost anything. And the smell... oh my gosh!

Next week I am hoping to be done with my major papers and can get a better chance to soak in springtime. My hydrangea trees are beginning to bloom and it makes my heart happy to see the rebirth. I think I have been sitting in front of the computer too long and now my thoughts are wandering. So.... Enjoy!

Banana Nut Muffins

2 cups AP Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 overripe bananas
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans  (this is where I like to change it up either with PB chips, chocolate chips, or even omit)

Preheat to 375. Line muffin tins.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set Aside

Mash 2 bananas with a fork so they still have a bit of texture. With wire whisk bananas and sugar for about 3 min (Tyler says like you mean it!)  Add melted butter, eggs, and vanilla scraping the sides once or twice. Mix in the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Fold in other bananas and nuts with rubber spatula. Spoon into muffin tins about half way and tap on counter to release bubbles ( I don't do this because I typically lose my attention span about now )

Bake 18 to 20 min. Cool in tin for a few minutes and serve. These are best warm!
For mini muffins, like I did, 9 to 11 min.

6 comments:

NKP said...

I love the pics of them tumbling all over themselves, and lined up like soldiers in others. The additions you made are fantastic, the kids must have been thrilled!

Anonymous said...

Those look wonderful. I love the way you decorated them with the frosting and the mini-choc bars.

Megan said...

Lots of great photos, that's for sure.

And hey mon, going to Jamaica now, how cool for you. Say it in your best reggae accent!

Deb in Hawaii said...

What perfect little cupcakes!I love the idea of the peanut butter frosting and the little Hershey bar on top--lucky kids!

Michelle said...

I love your pictures...so cute. And you cupcakes are adorable. I bet the kids loved the banana and peanut butter frosting with the extra treat on top!

Jenny said...

Odd remark from me, but I am so jealous that you can make something with peanut butter for a school. While I hate the stuff myself, I'd love to send my kids in with peanut butter but can't because our schools are nut free.
My kids would likely love these though, a change from my normal muffins.